Saint Mary’s the Virgin
New St. Mary’s Church
Officially known as The Church of Saint Mary the Virgin it was designed by Arthur Blomfield in 1887 and built to take the pressure off the parish’s two other churches, the small medieval Old St Mary’s and St. Saviour’s. designed by Arthur Blomfield in 1887. A spire was apparently designed but was never built. The consecration of the church took place on 5 April 1888.
The Clock and Bells
The bells were dedicated in 1891 and were gifted by various people. Five by a General Hill, another by a Miss Marian Smith and another by a Mr. A. N. Woolaston. The last bell was taken from Old St. Mary’s as was the clock; Mrs. Eaton- Monins made this the condition of these gifts, to the parish in 1869, that they would be transferred to the new church once built.
The registers are available online and included with those for Old St. Mary’s (The Blessed Virgin Mary Church) which ceased to be the parish church when this new church of St Mary’s the Virgin was built.