Henry Wilberforce (youngest son of William Wilberforce) was vicar of Old St. Mary’s (from 1841 to 1843) which had become too small to cater for the growing town and the seafarers anchored in the Downs. He started the process to build a chapel of ease in Lower Walmer. A period of six years was to lapse before enough funds were raised to start building. The foundation stone was finally laid by Harriet Bridges, one of the main contributors towards this new church in August 1848. The work was carried out and completed in May 1849, by local builder William Denne. St. Saviour’s was consecrated on 2 July 1849.
The Lifeboat House opposite was built in a similar Neo-Gothic style some 23 years later.
The Parish Registers
The registers of St. Saviour’s marriages 1855-1910 are available online.